Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Ford Powershift

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447741

  • Petemate
  • Petemate's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 46
  • Thank you received: 8
I saw some while ago somewhere (sorry can't remember where) some info regarding possible problems with Ford's Powershift auto transmission system with regard to the clutches, especially when maneuvering around, such as parking up on site on the pitch. Now while I am capable of reversing our caravan on to a pitch, I always disconnect and use the mover, because eventually I like to 'fine tune' the caravan position and invariably use the mover to level the unit on the ramp(s). So if there is only a possible problem moving the caravan around with the car, in our case this would not occur. Does anyone using Ford's Powershift have any problems otherwise? Currently our tug is a Saab 9-3 with the smooth 'slush' box which I am very happy with. In the (hopefully distant) future when/once the Saab gives up the ghost (it will probably now go bang tomorrow lol) I would be tempted to go the Mondeo route and anything has to be auto for my gammy left ankle.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447745

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6027
  • Thank you received: 1376
Petemate wrote:
I saw some while ago somewhere (sorry can't remember where) some info regarding possible problems with Ford's Powershift auto transmission system with regard to the clutches, especially when maneuvering around, such as parking up on site on the pitch. Now while I am capable of reversing our caravan on to a pitch, I always disconnect and use the mover, because eventually I like to 'fine tune' the caravan position and invariably use the mover to level the unit on the ramp(s). So if there is only a possible problem moving the caravan around with the car, in our case this would not occur. Does anyone using Ford's Powershift have any problems otherwise? Currently our tug is a Saab 9-3 with the smooth 'slush' box which I am very happy with. In the (hopefully distant) future when/once the Saab gives up the ghost (it will probably now go bang tomorrow lol) I would be tempted to go the Mondeo route and anything has to be auto for my gammy left ankle.

I have posted re Powershift. A class legal action in US and Australia was decided last autumn because of problems owners had experienced. Search the internet and you will find lots of info. My daughter sold her 53 reg Saab 9-3 Aero auto and bought a low mileage three year old Focus with Powershift. As I wasn’t around she just relied on the salesman to demo it. When she then drove it herself she felt it hesitated on take off and the gearchange 1-2 was not smooth. The garage reinstalled the latest software but marginal improvement. So it went back to the main dealer and had to have both clutch packs replaced along with some seals. It now drives fine. Although it hasn’t been publicised in UK my daughter was told that they would support it for five years if the car had a a full Ford history.
Ford aren’t alone as the VAG DSG equivalent suffered problems in the dry lubricted versions, where the wet lubricated suffered far less issues.

These double synchro gearboxes are automated manual gearboxes and operate differently from a torque converter box. The clutches (the lower gear and reverse ) will wear so you need to be aware of this when driving. The two clutch packs operate 1,3,5 and 2, 4, 6. Even though my DSG is wet lubricated I don’t crawl in traffic even solo. I don’t apply handbrake with Car in Drive when at a standstill. I tend to put it into N even if stopped with foot brake applied as the clutches never fully disengage.
Saying this I find the DSG an excellent intuitive gearbox but given that Ford are moving away from Powershift I’m not sure that I would opt for one.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447760

  • CustardAvenger
  • CustardAvenger's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 626
  • Thank you received: 204
Can't comment on towing, but I have also heard of issues with Volvos which have the Ford Powershift auto box which were produced during Fords ownership. These issues were as OtherClive described.

Depending on the power output, the cars could either have PowerShift or GearTronic (torque converter) auto boxes, but with no obvoius design differeces to the the driver. The latter reserved for higher bhp/torque applications, as a Volvo dearler told me PowerShift would explode under the torque from the D5 engine.
Paul
Volvo XC60 D4 AWD & Swift Sprite Major 4SB
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Petemate

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447761

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6027
  • Thank you received: 1376
CustardAvenger wrote:
Can't comment on towing, but I have also heard of issues with Volvos which have the Ford Powershift auto box which were produced during Fords ownership. These issues were as OtherClive described.

Depending on the power output, the cars could either have PowerShift or GearTronic (torque converter) auto boxes, but with no obvoius design differeces to the the driver. The latter reserved for higher bhp/torque applications, as a Volvo dearler told me PowerShift would explode under the torque from the D5 engine.

In 2010 I sold my Sorento and the cars considered to replace it were Mondeo or C5 estates or Volvo XC70 D5 AWD. Both the Ford and Citroen C5 had the same Powershift gearbox but the C 5 had a significantly lower maximum towing weight. I opted for the XC70 as at that time the VAG DSG had a bit of a cloud over them yet had been around for a while, whereas the Powershift was relatively new. The Volvo was what I would call a “simple 6 speed torque converter “ auto.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447762

  • Petemate
  • Petemate's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 46
  • Thank you received: 8
Many thanks for the info. After my earlier research, the info is just what I expected. I knew that the DSG boxes had both wet and dry clutches. Very good points regarding holding car in gear with the brakes applied; I don't think I would ever be able to train 'er indoors to comply! I slip our slush box into neutral each traffic stop but she tends to blind the poor drivers behind with the brake lights lolol. So I think I may opt for a replacement, when it comes, with a torque converter-equipped car. Shame, as I do like the Mondy which these days has many toys. I recall reading once that replacing these clutches is quite a specialist job, so replacement would be expensive? Also how long do they tend to last given careful driving?

Ta again for the inputs.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447764

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6027
  • Thank you received: 1376
Petemate wrote:
Many thanks for the info. After my earlier research, the info is just what I expected. I knew that the DSG boxes had both wet and dry clutches. Very good points regarding holding car in gear with the brakes applied; I don't think I would ever be able to train 'er indoors to comply! I slip our slush box into neutral each traffic stop but she tends to blind the poor drivers behind with the brake lights lolol. So I think I may opt for a replacement, when it comes, with a torque converter-equipped car. Shame, as I do like the Mondy which these days has many toys. I recall reading once that replacing these clutches is quite a specialist job, so replacement would be expensive? Also how long do they tend to last given careful driving?

Ta again for the inputs.

My daughters car was in the main dealers for four days having both sets of clutches replaced.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447773

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 12124
  • Thank you received: 1550
My own experience with Passat DSG (170) I haven't towed with it. There is a discernible lag when you want to pull away, but you just have to get used to it and work with it.

I tow with a manual Renault Espace, which does, but have previously used Saab's with great success.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Petemate

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447777

  • Petemate
  • Petemate's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 46
  • Thank you received: 8
ProfJohnL wrote:
My own experience with Passat DSG (170) I haven't towed with it. There is a discernible lag when you want to pull away, but you just have to get used to it and work with it.

I tow with a manual Renault Espace, which does, but have previously used Saab's with great success.

Thank you Prof. I really do like the Saab auto; it is very smooth and has never given us cause for concern. Both solo and towing, the changes are faultless.. I changed the auto fluid at approx 60k, and I realise that this did not change the complete quantity; if we have it long enough, I will go for the full flush and refill at 120k. (current mileage is 105k)

Should we have to move the car on for any reason soon, I am tempted towards an Insignia, as the mechanicals are very similar to the Saab (eg brake and some suspension parts, and of course the engine in the main and transmission). For me this is useful as I do most of my own maintenance.

Safe towing!

Pete
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447778

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6027
  • Thank you received: 1376
ProfJohnL wrote:
My own experience with Passat DSG (170) I haven't towed with it. There is a discernible lag when you want to pull away, but you just have to get used to it and work with it.

I tow with a manual Renault Espace, which does, but have previously used Saab's with great success.

Prof
I’ve not noticed any lag with mine which is 170ps DSG although if I were to use Stop-start you then become aware of “bits” sorting themselves out. But I don’t usecstop-start preferring to have my engine on line as I pull out of junctions/roundabouts. Somewhat conservative I know but that’s borne after years thinking what can go wrong and screw up the day!

Earlier DSGs also had a bit of a problem pulling away as the interaction between the fuelling and gearbox mode gave some hesitancy.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ford Powershift 1 year 4 months ago #447780

  • michael_5111967
  • michael_5111967's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 34
  • Thank you received: 2
We previously owned a motorhome so i just needed a small car for work etc. In 2014 after a short test drive (Btw the short test drive was my biggest mistake) anyhow i opted for the 2013 Ford B max with Powershift Auto.
On collection i drove the car home from the dealer forecourt & reversed up into my driveway & from that moment knew i had made a big mistake.
The car lurched & juddered making all types of strange noises & the transmission felt like it was locking up, i felt truly sickened.
Having owned & driven many convensional Autos with torque converter i knew the Powershift required a different driving technique however no matter what method i used the strange noises & jerking were very embarrasing especially with passengers on board.
The car went straight back to the dealers for software updates & after the 5th time i refused to take the car back until something was done.
The dealer eventually fitted new clutch packs & the car drove better for a few Months at which stage i outed the B Max & opted for a Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 Turbo Auto Wow what a difference, the Mokka gets very poor write up's but the Auto box with torque converter is an absolute dream to drive!
We decided then to sell the motorhome & return to caravaning & although the Mokka towing weight is poor & careful matching is essential & it is what it is but i have been pleasently surprised at how well it actually tows & i can reverse car & loaded van up into my driveway with ease, no judder,noises or clutches burning!!
I did hear Fords are moving away from Powershift back to Torque converter in the very near future.
My advice for towing is stay well clear of the Powershift & try opt for convensional torque coverter autos but this is purely my opinion. :)
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by michael_5111967. Reason: spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, Petemate

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Cruach Culmor - Built on an Al-Ko chassis, the Culmor has an AKS hitch lock but no ATC anti-snaking. Alloys are standard - as are chic graphics (© Practical Caravan)