Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Towing car confusion

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462901

• TheCrooks
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi were very new to caravaning and purchased our first van at the end of last year. It’s a Bailey Olympus 525 (2010) with a MTPLM of 1500.
We’re trying to purchase a new car as ours isn’t powerful enough to tow but we’re getting in a right muddle and getting very confused over all the figures and terms (kerb weight, bhp, braked weight, unbraided weight, towing weight etc)
The car we are looking at is a Ford Kuga with a braked weight of 1800, engine power of 138 bhp and torque of 236 lbs/ft. I can’t work out the kerb weight as looking online there seems to be various figures given.
We’d really appreciate any advice you could give as to wether this will tow our van easily.
Many thanks in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462902

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 650
Should pull it no bother as we have one also as you can see in my profile picture, thing is will your licence cover you as there's a chance you'll be over 35oo'kg if your licence is registered after 1997 ? If your pre 97 then its no bother .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by Craigyoung.

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462903

• Dodger524
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
I recommend that you use the Towcar website to check compatibility of your proposed rig. You can get the information off the cars logbook or manufacturers website.
Regards Dave
Volvo XC70 D5 auto towing a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB wandering.me.uk/
Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by Dodger524.

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462908

• Brasso530
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
I'm with Craig,we too changed our car to something more suitable, a Kuga.The kerb weight of a Kuga (I assume you're looking at a diesel?)is printed on the v5 reg documents,but as you only get that once bought not much help ;) 1624kg is what it's kerb weight is printed as ,but,this is generic for Kuga models,so in real life on a weight bridge more like 1700kg,(type Kuga weight in on Kuga owners forum and sit back and read loads of people who've been surprised at how different the 2 figures are)but either way great car and should pull your new van no problem (as previously mentioned above,so long as you passed your test before 1997?)hope this helps.
2014 Kuga 2ltr tdi,2014 explore 530
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462916

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
So looking at my V5 document in front of me the weight of my Kuga is 1681 , 225o max , but if you find one that you like and are interested in contact the owner seller or garage and ask them to have a look on the V5 document for you which would be a great help to you but even with what I have said with my weight and what Brasso has said with his , by the time you have 4 people in your car and loaded there's a good chance you may be over , when did you pass your driving test(s) ?!?! :huh:

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by Craigyoung.

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462927

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1376
Craigyoung wrote:
So looking at my V5 document in front of me the weight of my Kuga is 1681 , 225o max , but if you find one that you like and are interested in contact the owner seller or garage and ask them to have a look on the V5 document for you which would be a great help to you but even with what I have said with my weight and what Brasso has said with his , by the time you have 4 people in your car and loaded there's a good chance you may be over , when did you pass your driving test(s) ?!?! :huh:

What weight of people do you carry? Even four at 100kgs each would still give 169kg for load which is more than many caravans have as payload. Viz some top spec two berths down to 125kg payload.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by otherclive.

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462929

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
Sorry !!

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462933

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 796
Given the Max permissable weight if it is the same as Craig's is 2250kg and the MTPLM of the caravan is 1500kg that gives a total of 3750kg. I cannot see that you have confirmed what licence you have but you would need a B+E authorisation to tow the combination. If you do not have it then you need to take the additional test to get this. I doubt that any tow car with a maximum permissable weight of 2,000kg or less would be suitable.
Ray
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462955

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
otherclive wrote:
Craigyoung wrote:

What weight of people do you carry? Even four at 100kgs each would still give 169kg for load which is more than many caravans have as payload. Viz some top spec two berths down to 125kg payload.

100 kg ( 15 stone ) for each person !! Im only 12 , wife less and kids lesser !!

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
Sorry !!

Towing car confusion 6 months 4 weeks ago #462958

• TheCrooks
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all

Many thanks for all your responses. I passed in 1994 and have the right licence so I'm all good to tow. We are a family of 4 with a combined weight of around 31 stone I guess. We're really new to this so apologies for appearing dense but I'm confused by what some of you have said about our weight being more than the caravan has as it's payload?

We're going back to look at the Kuga at the weekend so hopefully I can get my head round all these figures and what they mean by then. We're not really car people and we've been doing so much reading up that now all the figures and terminology are just swimming round our heads at the moment. It's quite overwhelming but hopefully we can get to grips with it and get going in our van :)
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Cruach Culmor - Built on an Al-Ko chassis, the Culmor has an AKS hitch lock but no ATC anti-snaking. Alloys are standard - as are chic graphics (© Practical Caravan)