Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Practical Caravan Car Reviews

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 2 days ago #468550

• bertieboy1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
Just read a Ford Kuga review on Practical Caravan web site.one comment said the car "struggled in the lane changing test"What does this mean -
1.it wouldn'tchange lanes
2.It was too slow changing lanes
3.It was unstable when changing lanes

Or what
Not describing the "struggle" seems to be a serious ommission
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 2 days ago #468553

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 601
No complaints about mine . It goes where i want it to no prob .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 2 days ago #468556

• Guzzilazz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Without finding the detail review, I know there was a towing review on the Kuga where the car wasn't handling well, but this was put down to the car being fitted with Winter tyres, when the test temperature was way above the upper limit of the tyres...

I agree with Craigyoung the Kuga is an excellent tow car, also IMHO performs way better than the "3 star" reviews it tends to get in motor mags...
Larry from N. Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera
Kuga 2.0 Titanium 150PS 2WD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 2 days ago #468565

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 601
bertieboy1 wrote:
Just read a Ford Kuga review on Practical Caravan web site.one comment said the car "struggled in the lane changing test"What does this mean -
1.it wouldn'tchange lanes
2.It was too slow changing lanes
3.It was unstable when changing lanes

Or what
Not describing the "struggle" seems to be a serious ommission

There's two replies one from myself and one from Guzzilazz , both who own kugas and are pulling quite a weight to behind them with no complaints .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 1 day ago #468570

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1203
Guzzilazz wrote:
Without finding the detail review, I know there was a towing review on the Kuga where the car wasn't handling well, but this was put down to the car being fitted with Winter tyres, when the test temperature was way above the upper limit of the tyres...

I agree with Craigyoung the Kuga is an excellent tow car, also IMHO performs way better than the "3 star" reviews it tends to get in motor mags...

Who on earth would put a test car through the lane change test, which is quite a severe manoeuvre with inappropriate tyres; then criticise its performance.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 1 day ago #468572

• Dodger524
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 138
otherclive wrote:
Guzzilazz wrote:

Who on earth would put a test car through the lane change test, which is quite a severe manoeuvre with inappropriate tyres; then criticise its performance.

Because it is a "real world" type of test that replicates what could happen to any of us.

It does sometimes get quite warm during winter.
Regards Dave
Volvo XC70 D5 auto towing a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB wandering.me.uk/

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 1 day ago #468574

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Dodger524 wrote:
otherclive wrote:
Guzzilazz wrote:

Because it is a "real world" type of test that replicates what could happen to any of us.

It does sometimes get quite warm during winter.

But winter tyres are a very small minority usage in UK other than possibly Scotland and York Moorland farmers and midwives etc.
So the test was unrepresentative of the vast majority of users. Either way we drive to Poland a couple of years back and was surprised at the number of cars fitted with winter tyres in the heat of summer. Presumably they keep them on all year around.
It’s more likely a new Kuga came with All Season tyres as OEM fit as many makers are now doing this. And the reviewer was a bit lax in the definition. If this were the case it would be more worrying.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by otherclive.

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 1 day ago #468618

• bertieboy1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
Hello Craigyoung,
I also have a Kuga and have no problems towing,in fact I'm quite happy with it.Your post and Guzzilazz's doesn't answer the question.
The post was a comment on the review for being too vague and not saying what the "problem" was

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 1 day ago #468620

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
I think the description, if accurate, says quite clearly what problems the tester encountered. If you see the videos of the lane change test it is quite challenging. In the annual Club tests the caravan will not have ATC working either. Have a look at the videos and you will see how different cars compare. Whether you agree or not is a moot point, but unless anyone has had to carry out a sudden lane change then they really aren’t in a position to compare their towing experience with a testers experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 1 week 1 day ago #468628

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 963
otherclive wrote:
I think the description, if accurate, says quite clearly what problems the tester encountered. If you see the videos of the lane change test it is quite challenging. In the annual Club tests the caravan will not have ATC working either. Have a look at the videos and you will see how different cars compare. Whether you agree or not is a moot point, but unless anyone has had to carry out a sudden lane change then they really aren’t in a position to compare their towing experience with a testers experience.

OC, I am with on everything you have said. BUT, on a trip to the wilderness, Hutton Le Hole, Yorkshire, my friend and myself were travelling along a dual carrigeway, about 30 mph, and a muppet crossed left in front of him , he swerved left and missed the car. The caravan followed fantastically, Talking point of the night on pitch.

We were not driving Daft or anything.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Most recent caravan reviews

Caravelair Antares 406 - Double bed makes up with pull-out slats, but in our test model, they were a bit of a struggle (© Practical Caravan)
Explore 304SE - Comfortable L-shaped lounge benefits from elegant colour scheme and high-quality finish (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 580 - Apart from the neat silver roundel placed on the front nearside corner to mark 100 years of Eccles caravans, this exterior looks much like any other Swift model, with a black front panel and understated decals (© Practical Caravan)
Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)