Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 3 months ago #361333

• WoodlandsCamper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 500

Being at a loose end at the weekend I started reading all the literature we received with our van.  The aerial leaflet has the statement:
"To reduce the possibility of damage when travelling, point the antenna backwards"
I, like most people I've seen, travel with the antenna pointing forward as it's more aerodynamic.  The van was even delivered with the antenna pointing forward!!
The leaflet also says "DO NOT TRAVEL with the antenna raised or set for vertical signals."
Perhaps the owner of the van I followed on the motorway coming home from work tonight also needs to read the leaflet as his was both raised and vertical.
Am I being too much of a Woosie by following instructions???  (Answers on the back of a £10 note please)
Vauxhall Insignia 2015 2.0 cdti 170PS
Lunar Conquest 462 2012
Sir WC (MNKOR) BAR - member of the Woosie Round Table
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 3 months ago #361334

• Gagakev
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 358

Got to admit as it was on the roof and worked when I got the van havent read the leaflet.
It does however have a orange dot on the pole on the inside and when facing forward (the dot) so the arieal is facing forward and rightly or wrongly I assumed this was the way to travel.
But thanks for giving me something else to worry about
Ps I dont have a £10.00 note

Sir Gagakev WC (3 BAR)

Shogun Equippe3.2DTi tugging Fleetwood Sonata Symphony

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 3 months ago #361335

• Sproket
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Member of the Woosie club
  • Thank you received: 266

Yes i did that as well when i fitted my status 530 on the roof, i do remember something about the direction of them when towing a few years ago.
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/equipment-accessories/status-530-aerial
So when mine is fully down & pointing backwards, i put a mark on the mast with a marker pen so that it lines up with the vertical joint on the clamp.

Sorry no ten pound notes left, i put them in the diesel tank for tomorrow. 

Sir Sproket the Aldi bargain hunter

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 3 months ago #361336

• SteveW77
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44

If left pointing forwards, it makes a Delta wing, just like Concorde.
The faster you go the more lift it generates. I don't think that it will lift the van of the road, unless you tow at supersonic speed, but it can't be good for the fixing.

Steve W
Empty post (likely not intentional - probably an Internet Explorer issue!)

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 3 months ago #361337

• mcghee
  • Platinum Boarder

That's exactly it Steve. Its not so much about the 'van taking off, but the forces generated will break the waterproof joint where the the antenna enters the roof.

there are two ways to have enough. one is to accumulate more. the other is to desire less.

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 3 months ago #361338

• Clubman1
  • Gold Boarder
steve w77 wrote:
If left pointing forwards, it makes a Delta wing, just like Concorde.
The faster you go the more lift it generates. I don't think that it will lift the van of the road, unless you tow at supersonic speed, but it can't be good for the fixing.
Steve W
You can learn something new everyday from these forums - off to turn the ariel around now before we hit the road tomorrow.

Clubman

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 3 months ago #361339

• AbbeyOwner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

I've got to say i keep mine facing forward but reading the op i will face it backwards
Tiguan Rline 2014
Swift Challenger 540 Sport 2010
2 Patterdale  x Jack Russells

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 3 months ago #361340

• Martin24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 455

Hmmmmmmm, Very very woosie reading a what did you call it??? destruction manual???  We were told red dot to front when towing but no idea which way it's pointing as never bothered to look or take it in so I'll just keep the red dot forward.  Or did they say red dot back???? now if they said that then mine's pointing the wrong way?? Oh I don't know???  As far as your £10 note goes, 3x school uniform, 3 x trainers for indoor, 3x trainers for outdoor, 3 x PE kit and the new van on order from Lawns yesterday means not a hope of anyone getting a penny out of me at the moment.
2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Turin towed by 2017 DFW WAV converted 316 Sprinter

Sir Outnumbered BAR WC (4:1) WEI dragging along Lady Therapy

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 2 months ago #361341

• Dave111
  • Senior Boarder

This issue raises it's head quite often. If you read the manual it explains that the red or orange dot denotes the front of the aerial but then goes on to explain, not very clearly, that the aerial should face rearwards when travelling. The problem is also compounded by dealers misinforming people when they pick up a caravan that the dot faces forwards. This happened to me when I changed caravans. My previous caravan had a status directional aerial and I had always travelled with it facing rearwards. The dealer at induction for the new van tried to tell me the dot faced forwards. We ended up getting the manual out and I am relieved to say I was correct and he was somewhat embarrassed as he had always given out the wrong advice. That maybe why you see so many on the road facing the wrong way!
Dave
�

Travel Direction of Status 530 Antenna 7 years 2 months ago #361342

• WoodlandsCamper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 500

I notice in the Nov edition of PCv Magazine that Niall Hampton (page 15) is telling in 'basics for beginners' to "Retract the aerial and move it to the transport position, ie with the red dot to the front".  Another reason why people stow the aerial in the incorrect position.  Perhaps Mr Editor could correct this glaring mistake in the next edition.
Vauxhall Insignia 2015 2.0 cdti 170PS
Lunar Conquest 462 2012
Sir WC (MNKOR) BAR - member of the Woosie Round Table

Most recent caravan reviews

Coachman Acadia 675 - That attractive, low profile look will be familiar to Coachman fans (© Practical Caravan)
Elddis Avanté 454 - The Avanté looks good with quality moulded front and rear panels (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Discovery D4-2 - The Discovery is a quirky looking tourer, with an awning that stretches right around to the rear (© Practical Caravan)
Sprite Super Quattro EB - The EB's curvaceous exterior, with three windows, a large sunroof and smart graphics, rather belies its entry-level price band (© Practical Caravan)