Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Towing in high winds

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463625

• CustardAvenger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 163
Took the caravan for it's first service today; it was a bit windy round Coventry as I towed towards the dealers on the A45 and experienced a beginnings of what I think was a Snake... most likely caused by a gust of wind.
I've towed the Sprite about 2000 miles this year and not felt that peculiar oscillation before.
I let off the throttle (The road was limited to 50mph) and the movement subsided. Didn't have an issue after that, even on the faster sections of dual carriageway.

What are some best practices for towing in windy conditions?
Paul
Volvo XC60 D4 AWD & Swift Sprite Major 4SB
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463630

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 382
Nothing new from me really, I try to ensure the car and caravan are appropriatly loaded, reduced speed and avoiding (if I can) overtaking high sided vehicles.

It's not enough to prevent the occasional sudden and scary car\trailer reactions though :ohmy:
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Anseo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CustardAvenger

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463632

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 575
Pretty much the same as Anseo , a while ago as we were going to Barnard Castle on a windy day last year and there was a car and caravan on its side :( , I was already going slow but this made me go even slower down to 40 mile an hour on the A66 , horrible road as it's all open areas .

Been very strong up in the Northeast and even I had to work to keep the bus in order yesterday with the high winds !!
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Craigyoung.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524, CustardAvenger

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463635

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1142
I think that you did the right thing by easing back. I try and move left on motorways if a large vehicle is passing. That reduces the effect of their bow wave.
Watch out when coming out of cuttings as you can get side winds. I try and avoid towing when high wind speeds are forecast. Delay arrival or change departure dates/times. But above all don’t be afraid to slow down or pull off if it’s that bad.

Got caught in a kabatic wind two days ago. It hit our vehicle at 50 mph plus side on. Our driver caught the vehicle in time but one in front left the road but fortunately stayed upright. So it was all hands to help push the car back onto the road. Fortunately you don’t get glaciers in UK. Surprised though at the number of caravans in dealerships in Iceland. Not a country I associated with caravanning.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463638

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1373
Much the same as has already been suggested, but I would add that if you come across any hazardous conditions, it's better to be late than becoming the 'Late' ProfJohnL.

Speed limits are limits and not targets to be achieved under all circumstances! Though my daughter did fail her first driving test for not maintaing good progress!
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH, CustardAvenger

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463652

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 681
I agree that it is best to avoid towing in high winds. Personally I would regard 30 mph as about the limit.
If you have to then keeping the speed down is the only answer and watch out for areas where side winds can hit you like coming out from bridges and the end of banking on the side the wind is coming from.
We have been caught out by high winds and simply stopped at the next site we knew of but that is not always possible.
If high winds are forecast and you have a service due, it may be worth ringing the dealer and seeing if you can bring it in and leave it earlier, most can accommodate you.
Ray

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463659

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 438
I agree with others. Best avoided but otherwise slow down, and if possible choose your route to avoid open country. If you must tow, wear brown trousers.

Mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463673

• CustardAvenger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 163
Thanks for all the responses. I think if the wind had been really bad, then I would have rescheduled. However, except for ruining my hairstyle :P the wind that day wasn't too bad.

I have reviewed my dash-can and it is almost impossible to tell that it is occurring except for my verbal reaction (Brown trousers were not required). Also it happened earlier than I thought; I was in a national speed limit section. I pass a road sign and there is then a gap in trees lining carriageway, to the left is an embankment sloping down to open fields. I can only assume it was a sudden gust of wind through this gap causing the upset.
Paul
Volvo XC60 D4 AWD & Swift Sprite Major 4SB

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463675

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 920
Last September, went from The Woosiefestat Mablethorpe up to Scotch corner then A66 to Barnard Castle, ( thanks Craig, )Cross winds at maybe 50 to 60 mph , down to 10 mph and the van was being swung around, thankfully got off the road after 10 miles. I think one of my scariest bits of towing for many years.

Just go as slow as you want and never mind the looks you get from the people that pass you, and have a genle grip on the Steering wheel, if you c,an.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung, CustardAvenger

Towing in high winds 2 months 1 week ago #463691

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 681
CustardAvenger wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I think if the wind had been really bad, then I would have rescheduled. However, except for ruining my hairstyle :P the wind that day wasn't too bad.

I have reviewed my dash-can and it is almost impossible to tell that it is occurring except for my verbal reaction (Brown trousers were not required). Also it happened earlier than I thought; I was in a national speed limit section. I pass a road sign and there is then a gap in trees lining carriageway, to the left is an embankment sloping down to open fields. I can only assume it was a sudden gust of wind through this gap causing the upset.

Sounds about right. It is that sort of feature that can catch you out.
Ray
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Raywood.

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)
Moto-trek Trek-Away - The Moto-trek Trek-Away standard exterior is off-white; our test model was a very smart silver, one of a choice of colours that's available as a £1620 cost option (© Practical Caravan)