Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Determining maximum nose weight of caravan

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 1 week ago #470932

• teds01
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi,
We've purchased a 2008 Ace Supreme Twinstar caravan and would like to know how we find out if there is a maximum nose weight for this particular caravan. I can't find any information regarding this in the handbook.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 1 week ago #470934

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1544
Hello Ted,

Welcome to the forum.

The maximum nose load a coupling can sustain is officially known as it's S value. The chassis manufacturer is required unde EU regulations to have it on an indelibley marked on the chassis near the coupling.

The majority of UK caravans use Alko chassis and the couplings are usually rated at 100kg or 150kg for bigger caravans. If you can't find the plate, then you should verify the rating with the caravan manufacturer.

Please also remember that the towbar on your vehicle will have an S value limit. If the two limits are different, you should never exceed the lower value.

The limits are set to protect the structural integrity of both the car and trailer.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524, teds01

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 1 week ago #470937

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
If the caravan was manufactured after 2014 it will have a statutory type approval plate, often located in the front locker, and that must show the maximum allowable noseweight. It is quoted as axle 0.
BMW X4 3.0d
Dethleffs Beduin 545V

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 1 day ago #471314

• teds01
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the info. I found the plate under the 'fairing'? near the handbrake/coupling, this van has an s value of 100kg.
Thanks for your assistance!
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, Dodger524

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 1 day ago #471343

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello Teds,

The value you have found is the upper limit for the caravans coupling, and you car should have a similar plate on its towbar, telling you the upper limit for the car. The car and caravan may have different limits and you must abide by the lower of the two limits

As nose loads are a variable load and are created by the way you load the trailer, you should adjust the trailers loading so the static nose load does not exceed the lowest limit.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
Last Edit: 1 month 10 hours ago by ProfJohnL. Reason: typos

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 12 hours ago #471373

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 795
I would assume 100 kg if you cannot find the stamped figure. The Swift Owners Club might be able to help if all else fails.
Ray

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 10 hours ago #471377

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
Raywood wrote:
I would assume 100 kg if you cannot find the stamped figure. The Swift Owners Club might be able to help if all else fails.

The OP has already found the caravans chassis plate with the S value of 100kg. But you must not assume the car has a limit of 100. Always check the towbars plate for the manufactures limit.

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 4 hours ago #471394

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1035
ProfJohnL wrote:
Raywood wrote:

The OP has already found the caravans chassis plate with the S value of 100kg. But you must not assume the car has a limit of 100. Always check the towbars plate for the manufactures limit.

Hi Prof, another point to "point out " is that on my tow bar the stick on label showing , weights etc has become unreadable, so it is up to the user to be aware as to the limits of the " Tow bar" and not just the limit of the car. It may have been fitted , incorrectly. . Most unlikely but possible.
Safe Towing, Hutch.
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.sitting in storage.
Rural Milton Keynes

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 1 month 4 hours ago #471398

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1368
EH52ARH wrote:
ProfJohnL wrote:
Raywood wrote:

Hi Prof, another point to "point out " is that on my tow bar the stick on label showing , weights etc has become unreadable, so it is up to the user to be aware as to the limits of the " Tow bar" and not just the limit of the car. It may have been fitted , incorrectly. . Most unlikely but possible.

Likewise mine was an adhesive mounted data label. All I’ve got now is a photo to remember it by. And that’s in just two years.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH

Determining maximum nose weight of caravan 3 weeks 6 days ago #471547

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 795
On the last car there was no sticker just the EU authorisation code stamped on and the details could be downloaded from the internet and a copy carried in the car. Not sure ifthis can be done now but you could try it.
Ray

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Cruach Culmor - Built on an Al-Ko chassis, the Culmor has an AKS hitch lock but no ATC anti-snaking. Alloys are standard - as are chic graphics (© Practical Caravan)