Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Caravan reversing simulator program

Caravan reversing simulator program 1 week 4 hours ago #475091

• VanBlanc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all

I'm currently working on a free-to-use driving simulator computer program which I'm hoping will be of some interest to novice caravan owners.

This program contains an animated tutorial which explains the principles involved in reversing a caravan (or any trailer) and a 3D driver simulator that allows you to practise these principles.

The simulator provides a birds-eye view, along with multiple rear mirror views of the reversing operation. It has an 'autopilot mode' that demonstrates how to reverse into areas such as gateways and parking spaces and a 'guidance mode' to help you try it for yourself.

I've had favourable reviews from the National Trailer and Towing Association (NTTA), the Swift Caravan Group and the Caravan and Camping Club and the program has been endorsed by IAM Roadsmart.

Now I'd like to ask for the help of all you experienced caravanners out there! I'm keen to get feedback from anyone who's interested but particularly those who already know how to reverse a caravan. It would be great to know what's good, what's bad and what might be improved.

If you're interested in taking a look you can find further details on my web site at www.reversemytrailer.co.uk/.

There are also two short demonstration videos that can be viewed on YouTube and will hopefully give you a flavour of what the program can do without having to download and install it.

The first shows the main features of the simulator, using the built-in QuickStart feature:

The second shows the reverse-manoeuvre tutorial feature:

I hope you enjoy using it - and don't forget, it's FREE!.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Caravan reversing simulator program 1 week 1 hour ago #475098

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1080
VanBlanc, unfortunatly I am using Android, your idea looks great an would give people a great insight to the skill of getting your caravan or trailer onto a spot.
What you might need is a function for , "Tired , stressed or those others are watching us . Mode.) Great ideat. Hope it works.
Good luck.
Hutch.
Hutch,
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit look at The Woosie Thread.
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The following user(s) said Thank You: VanBlanc

Caravan reversing simulator program 6 days 22 hours ago #475104

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1189
I’m an old lag!
My mirrors have served me well for 40 years reversing.
I am tutoring my 36 year old son on reversing.

Sorry to say the practical hands on method cannot be beaten.
But fair play to your concept.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung, VanBlanc

Caravan reversing simulator program 6 days 22 hours ago #475105

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1080
Dustydog wrote:
I’m an old lag!

But fair play
Hutch,
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit look at The Woosie Thread.
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
Last Edit: 6 days 22 hours ago by EH52ARH. Reason: Addition

Caravan reversing simulator program 6 days 14 hours ago #475109

• VanBlanc
  • Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 6 days 14 hours ago by VanBlanc. Reason: Forgot to include quote

Caravan reversing simulator program 6 days 14 hours ago #475110

• VanBlanc
  • Fresh Boarder
EH52ARH wrote:
VanBlanc, unfortunatly I am using Android, your idea looks great an would give people a great insight to the skill of getting your caravan or trailer onto a spot.
What you might need is a function for , "Tired , stressed or those others are watching us . Mode.) Great ideat. Hope it works.
Good luck.
Hutch.
Thanks Hutch. I have already set up 2 levels of difficulty- this sounds like about a level 5 or 6!

Caravan reversing simulator program 6 days 14 hours ago #475111

• VanBlanc
  • Fresh Boarder
Dustydog wrote:
I’m an old lag!

But fair play to your concept.

I totally agree, Dustydog - you can't beat hands on and I've tried to make that clear in the program introduction. I'm hoping people will use the program as a (fun!) learning aid.

Caravan reversing simulator program 6 days 12 hours ago #475114

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 686
Like some have said it's a good idea for some but I prefer hands-on and doing it for real . There's a few times I've had no choice but to reverse in awkward positions and situations and you've just got to get on with it ! I do it on a regular basis with the bus and that's a lot different to reversing with the caravan as there's no pivot in the middle !!
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Caravan reversing simulator program 6 days 11 hours ago #475119

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1610
Hello VanBlanc.

I have viewed the demonstration, and I’ll make the following comments.

I would not call it a simulator as it does not really replicate all the activities and factors a driver would really face, but it is a graphical demonstrator of how towed trailers react to towing and reversing.

It is useful to have graphic demonstrator as it can help to explain the process of reversing a trailer, to someone who may never have tried it or perhaps to someone who has tried but found it particularly difficult.

The graphic shows the important details of the wheel alignments and the loci they would follow, and it would be very easy to overload it with more detail, but I do feel its is missing one piece of information:- I think it might help to show a steering wheel between the front wheels, that rotates as the wheels turn but at say a 2:1 ratio so that small steering wheel inputs are more obvious.

The presentation of the narrative and its timing in relation to the graphic needs to be reconsidered.
The narrative is physically too far away from the action in the graphic, and the text size is too small to be read quickly and easily whilst swapping your attention from graphic to narrative or the other way round. When the viewer switches between panels the action or narrative has often moved on and does not necessarily make immediate sense.

We are more used television type subtitles, so reconsider positioning the narrative to the bottom of the graphic and if possible scroll the text or slow or hold the graphic so the viewer can relate the two.

I’d see this as having a particular use as a learning and used in conjunction with an instructor rather than a stand alone resource. And of course there is no substitute for real life experience.

I hope these comments may help you.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Caravan reversing simulator program 6 days 11 hours ago #475120

• Guzzilazz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74
One of the things that is difficult for some people is "spatial awareness" (for want of a better term) and the ability to visualise what you need to do with the tug to place the trailer in the place you want it to go... If you're male of a certain age who had Dinky/Corgi toys, playing at reversing artics on the floor was a great help. In the absence of that, this is a great help...
Larry from N. Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera
Kuga 2.0 Titanium 150PS 2WD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung, VanBlanc
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Alicanto Grande Sintra - The distinctive exterior has metallic decals (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)