Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Electric trip fault

Electric trip fault 4 years 4 weeks ago #312761

Hi
We have a Bailey Pageant Bretagne series 5 and have just returned from Kingsbury Water Park,Whilst there the Electric in our van kept tripping out. I tried all the appliances with a seperate lead and RCD but none tripped the RCD. The power would stay on all day without any problems but as soon as the Truma heater was used on either gas or electric it tripped within an hour.Can anybody help with the problem.

Baz and Pam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Electric trip fault 4 years 4 weeks ago #312762

If you are referring to the space heater then on gas it will have no effect on mains power consumtion as its ignition is by its own Duracell battery igniter and the flame is held on by the thermocouple.

As for tripping the RCD, without knowing what else mains powered you had on at the same time, is difficult to point to any particular reason.

Electric trip fault 4 years 4 weeks ago #312763

Thanks for replying
 i am wondering if there is some kind of cut out  within the space heater that trips the MCB in the consumer unit  as the trip says sockets, fire and fridge. We have run fridge and all appliances on a seperate RCD to test them and they have not tripped.
We have noticed the ducting for the blow heater runs quite close in front of the consumer unit and wondered if the heat could cause it, or also could condensation be a factor as this is the first time we have been away in the caravan at this time of year. I have also been told that         re-setting the MCB so many times could have made it weak, but again it only seems to trip when the heating is on.  
Baz and Pam

Electric trip fault 4 years 4 weeks ago #312764

• ProfJohnL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 148

Hello Baz and Pam,
The MCB's and the RCD work in very different ways to provide protection.

At a basic level the RCD should only trip if there is current leakage to earth fault. and the MCB should only trip when more current (AMPS) are drawn than should be.

As you have been unable to identify the offending appliance, I strongly suggest you should get a qualified electrician to investigate.

All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith, unless quoted with references, The reader should verify the information provided with relevant professionals before acting on it

Electric trip fault 4 years 4 weeks ago #312765

• xtrailman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • xtrailman
  • Thank you received: 15

The easy way forward is to replace the CB, cb's don't like repeated trips, it weakens the device.

However if the new CB trips, don't reset it, you have a fault and need to find it!

I would also test the RCD before doing anything else, via the test button.
175ps Mazda CX-5 with AWD & 420NM at 2K revs.
Towing a 2011 Unicorn Valencia.

Electric trip fault 4 years 4 weeks ago #312766

• Dustydog
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 92

Our previous Pageant series 5  Vendee had a similar problem. It turned out to be a defective battery charger unit. Bailey had been supplied with a faulty batch. It is possible you have one of these?
However unless you are a competent electrician I'd get an expert  to sort it for you. A faulty earthing system in a caravan could prove lethal. 
Sir Dustydog (BAR), Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Electric trip fault 4 years 4 weeks ago #312767

You say that it appears to trip even with the heater running on gas, when it is running on gas are you using the blower to circulate the hot air, if so it could well be a afault with the blawer itself.

Electric trip fault 4 years 3 weeks ago #312768

• ProfJohnL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder

Hi WM
I think it highly unlikely to be the fan that is causing the problem,as the fan runs on 12V not mains.
All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith, unless quoted with references, The reader should verify the information provided with relevant professionals before acting on it

Electric trip fault 4 years 3 weeks ago #312769

What charges the battery? also the op dosnt state if they have a battery fitted if they dont then the 12v would run straight off the mains ,the problem initially points to Dustydogs reply

"Paranoid?........no its worse than that"
After a Malamute a dog is just a dog
yes i dont have to reply to make me look smart or put a disclaimerr on my signature

Electric trip fault 4 years 3 weeks ago #312770

• ProfJohnL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder

Hello Derek, 

The RCD problem might be the battery charger, but it would only be something affecting the mains side of the charger not the 12V side.

RCD's  don’t work by looking for a current flow in the earth circuit, but by comparing the current flowing in both the live and Neutral of the incoming mains supply. provided there is less than 30mA difference, it continues to allow the current to flow. If the imbalance exceeds 30mA the RCD operates and disconnects (in the case of the caravan) both the live and neutral incoming supply

In fact it does not matter how much current flows in the earth or Continuous Protective Conductor, that by its self will not cause the RCD to trip.

The 12V DC system must use both a +12V and 0V wires and must not rely on the chassis (which is electrically earthed) to complete the 12V circuit. However most 12V appliances do connect the 0V line to their casing, and this may make electrical contact with the caravan chassis.

So whilst the 0V line of the 12V system may make contact with the caravan chassis, it is not intended as part of the 12V circuit. However it is therefore possible for some 12V circuit current to appear on the chassis, but it should be entirely contained within the caravan and not appear on the earth conductor in the EHU cable.

Even if some 12V current did find its way onto the Mains supply cable earth, as the RCD does not monitor the earth current it would not cause it to trip.

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Swift Lifestyle 2 review 1 - The Swift Lifestyle 2 works well in the evening, but – with its panoramic sunroof – it really shines during the day (© Bob Atkins/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Quasar 586 review 1 - Smart new decals and wheel spats are among the few changes in the appearance of the Lunar Quasar 586 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Cruiser review 1 - The wide body and the stylish grey GRP sidewalls hint at the luxurious feel of the Buccaneer Cruiser's interior (© Practical Caravan)
Practical Caravan's Standard Pod review 1 - Fans of teardrop tourers will doubtless be charmed by the Standard Pod's retro style (© Practical Caravan)

Follow us on