Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: High mileage tow cars

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322871

Dear all,

I am looking for some advice.  I have a 2005 (54 plate) TDi /130 VW Sharan, which has now covered some 76,000 miles.  It has been serviced reguarly including replacement of the timing belt and water pump. The advice I am after is, is there anything wrong in towing a caravan with a vehicle with high mileage and what can be the downfalls??

In times where we all have to watch the finances, I cannot afford to change the VW, even though I would like something more on the 4X4 avenue. 

Also what are your thoughts on "cruise control" whilst towing a caravan.

Thanks!!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322872

Hi.
I tow an Lunar clubman 475-2CK (quite heavy) with a Citroen C5 diesel estate 03 plate with wait for it
272086 miles on the clock (Yes that is right 272086) with no problems at all.

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322873

Hi nothing wrong with towing a van with high mileage car, I years ago used to tow with an old D reg 760gle petrol volvo, wound that up to 235000 miles on the clock before the head gasket went pop but it towed like a dream.
I used to have a VW sharan on a V plate it was like yours a tdi, it was the carat model, when I sold it it was still going strong with 137000 miles under its belt and again it was a good tow car so yours is  really just run in lol.My sharan was the one noboby likes, the automatic version. They are supposed to suffer gearbox problems but in all the years and with all the miles I  put on it I never had a problem.
As for cruise control I use it all the time towing or not, that is if the traffic conditions allow, but solo or towing on a long motorway haul  I would not be without it. 

Keep working the unemployed need there benifits

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322874

• DeliDave_
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12

Have the Galaxy 130 2004 basically identical and ther is nor reason to worry,I go on the galaxy owners site and many go 150k + .The clutch/dual mass flywheel is known problem with a recall on earlier models,I would invest in a motor mover rather than reverse a lot but otherwise OK imho
Sir Deli Dave of the Woosie Round Table
Hyundai I800 and Bailey Indiana S6

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322875

• Steve L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

I have regularly had tow cars with way over 150k on the clock.
Last August I retired my 1998 Laguna 2 ltr petrol estate as I felt sorry for her having done 209'000 miles. I then bought a Rover 75 tourer diesel with 120'000 miles of very comprehensive history.
As long as the car is regularly serviced and well maintained, it is arguably a better piece of kit than a low mileage car that has sat on the drive all week.
Typical example :- My brother-in-law has a Jag S type only 57'000 miles on an 05. But when he took it on holiday to france it broke down. The air con compressor seized. Cost of repair £1800. Plus two days off work the week after he got home, to go back to France to collect the car. The breakdown was caused purely through lack of use as prior to his holiday, the car was only used saturday & sunday and did less than 60 miles per week. The lack of use had allowed corrosion to build up thus restricting the operation of the drive shaft
So a well used car is not necessarily a burden. At least you get to renew parts on a regular basis as you wear them out rather than leave the car to rot on the drive. In fact a car with a healthy turn over of service parts is likely to be not only more reliable, but also safer to drive.
I once bought a Renault 25 Monaco that had for the previous five years only done 1500 miles per annum. The engine and gearbox were so tight, I had to re-run the car in.

ATB TTFN Steve L.
Swift Challenger 450/5s & X type Jaguar estate 2.0 D
Ex Fulltime caravanner and loving every day. Appologies in advance if what I say offends but free speech is the heart of good debate. 

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322876

• seth1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Hello, no person in the right mind could class 76000miles as even near high.But there is no point people trying to kid them selves that a high milage vehicle will be as mechanically sound as a low milage vehicle despite the service history.Internal engine parts wear,whether the part is still within a serviceable tolerance who knows.Items like headgaskets deteriate with time,hoses go hard,things have a life span.Personally i wouldnt tow with anything over 100.000miles,to me its done a days work at that milage.
seth

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322877

• Mikey_74
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Like already stated, the mikeage that your car has is low,  I know people who have the same engine as yours with over 260k miles on the clock, as for towing, my last car when I sold it has 225k miles on the clock and it still pulled our twin axle 26ft caravan like a steam train, don't worry, just keep on the services and you'll be fine

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322878

Chingster294 wrote:
Dear all,
I am looking for some advice.  I have a 2005 (54 plate) TDi /130 VW Sharan, which has now covered some 76,000 miles.  It has been serviced reguarly including replacement of the timing belt and water pump. The advice I am after is, is there anything wrong in towing a caravan with a vehicle with high mileage and what can be the downfalls??

hi, what are you talking about man @76000 miles its not run in yet?????

mine never uses any oil from service to service (once a vear before we go away)
has emissions lower than when it was new
does 60mpg all day long (40mpg with the van on the back)
has never mechanically broken down
is still on its original clutch
and seems to have more power now than when I got it,
oh and its mileage 145k (70k of that in my ownership)

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322879

• andy72
  • Expert Boarder

Im  puzzled by seths comment re his 100K max for towing. surely its all relative to the life the car has had? eg many city type cars are half dead at 50K miles whereas many ex company cars are stilll fresh at near 100K.

My Audi A3 was 3 year old when i bought it after losing a compay car due to redundancy. It had a computerised service history noting items such as  'refitted rear door access screw cover"... ie a tiny bit of plastic. Its done just approxing 99K milies now, mostly motorway type and trying to be as unbiased as i can, still feels nearly as good as the brand new BMW i got as a company car last year. It does have signs of wear eg stone chips etc but i cant see any reason to scrap it in 1000 miles time lol

High mileage tow cars 3 years 7 months ago #322880

• JonnyG
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

I am sure Seth will reply himself, Andy72, but I would add to his comments that towing puts a hell of lot more stress on all parts of the car, than normal solo driving So 100K clutches 100k DMF 100k turbo's, could really do without the extra strain towing will definitely put on them, and indeed the cost to replace just these parts is either side of   2 grand.
I tow with a 114k seat Alhambra  130bhp tdi, but is am always well aware of potential problems and costs i could incur  because of the mileage and wear that my vehicle will have, so i would never give advice along the lines of 100k is nothing these days, it is, its 100k. 
A man is judged by his deeds, and not by his words.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Xplore 526

£14,999

The Practical Caravan 2015 Xplore 526 review - A rakish front panel and sporty graphics lend a fresh look to the 2015 Xplore 526 – read more in the Practical Caravan review (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Sterling Continental 630 review - The sculpted corners and streamlined shape of the Sterling Continental 630 are designed to improve fuel efficiency and stability on tow (© James Mann/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Delta TI review - The Lunar Delta TI's new graphics, spats and alloy wheels look great, but its profile could have been more distinctive (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2015 Coachman VIP 575/4 review - Coachman's VIP 575/4 puts a luxury, island-bad floorplan on a single axle, and does so handsomely – a great option for your caravan holidays (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on