Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Hi, newbie with towing weight question.

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408620

• HNB
  • Senior Boarder
Hi everyone, hope all is well.

I'm not new new to caravanning, iv been doing it for last 3/4 years and me,wife and kids love it.

We are expecting our 4th child and are going to look at upgrading from our old shabby damp 5 berth and we would like to get the bailey ranger series 6 540/6 (tripple bunk at the back).

The gt60 version having a MTPLM 1350kg (miro 1124kg) and the normal version having a MTPLM of 1306kg (miro 1036kg)

The car i have is a 2007 vauxhall zafira 1.9cdti (120),and has a max tow weight of 1300kg.

I dont want to change my zafira as its a low milage diesel and iv had her 2 1/2 years and spent a bit of money on her keeping her mechanicaly tip top)

Now the question is, will i get away with the normal version 540/6 with the MTPLM 1306kg even though my car is 1300kg?

I know they recommend 85% weight of car, the caravan will remain mainly empty, most prob just bedding inside, rest will be put in the car, most prob roof box and the lil bit left in back of car. also been aware of not overloading the cars weight.

Oh and i passed in 2002 so can only go max of 3500kg atm but i do hold my psv and hgv class 2 licence and am looking to be doing the c+e soon to also upgrade my car, so thats no bother there lol.

all info and help is really appreciated.

thanks,H
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408621

• HNB
  • Senior Boarder
or would i even get away with the gt60 version 1350kg...been 50kg over the cars 1300kg tow limit?

thanks

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408622

• WoodlandsCamper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 388
A car's max tow limit is legally binding, you cannot go over it. Will a Zafira carry 6 people and luggage for caravanning without putting anything in the van??
Vauxhall Insignia 2015 2.0 cdti 170PS
Lunar Conquest 462 2012
Sir WC (NKOR) BAR - member of the Woosie Round Table

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408623

• HNB
  • Senior Boarder
can you not down plate it by like 6kg? or 50kg?

or i wouldnt even get away with it been just 6kg over, even though the caravan wouldnt weigh that.

i would have 1 seat up at back so there is the room next to it, plus a roof box. so hopefully should be ok.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by HNB.

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408626

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 484
Thank you for your question.

There are two threads to your question. The first relates to what you are allowed to drive by the terms of your licence. Cat B entitlements limits you to an out fit of combined MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) of 3500kg. Until you have cat BE that is a hard limit. However I believe your 2007 1.9 cdti Zaffra has a MAM of 2180kg so by adding the MAM of the caravan 1350 gives a combined MAM of 3530kg

You need Cat BE or B+e to drive your proposed outfit.

The second thread relates to the ability of the car to pull the caravan. The car is limited by specification to a maximum trailer weight of only 1300kg. That means the trailers actual weight , not its MTPLM. Provded the trailer when weighed does not exceed 1300kg (for example not fully loaded) it is legal for the car to tow it.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408638

• LizziePope
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 152
Hi HNB and a warm welcome to our forum. There are some useful replies there. You might also like to watch our outfit matching video.
Digital Editor, Practical Caravan

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408639

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 214
I have not checked the weights of the Zafira but if the Prof has correctly identified the MAM for your car then you cannot tow without the B+E licence, check your registration document as the weights sometimes vary from the published figures..
Again the caravan will be illegal to tow. Whether you would be prosecuted for that minor difference I cannot say, nor can I be sure how your car insurers would view it, so it is not wise to go ahead. To be frank with your car you will have difficulty finding six berth caravans you can tow, you might check out Lunar but not sure what they produced about the right age so cannot be sure.
Ray

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408641

• HNB
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for the useful replies.

So basically,iv got to get rid of my zaf,i was considering the cdti 150 or vxr,most prob be the latter though,both boasting more then 1500kg towing limits,the cdti slightly more then the vxr.

As for my licence entitlement,i will should have it upgraded before i go ahead with a purchase as going to be doing my c+e soon.

Thanks again for the replies.

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408643

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
I am afraid I cannot see any other sensible alternative. I could not see any six berths currently available that are under 1300 kg but you are looking at the second hand market so there might be something there but I cannot think what it is. Most manufacturers did make a lightweight model like the Ranger but getting below their weight was pretty rare.
I did try a site that finds matches for tow cars but it was not working.
Ray

Hi, newbie with towing weight question. 1 year 3 months ago #408650

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
Just checked the CC website and it had a few possibles but mostly too old. It shows the 2008 series five Ranger as 1300 MTPLM so if you can find that it would just work. The only others are Caravelair which are very rare and some Avondale Darts but I would be wary of 2007 and 2008 models as they have a reputation for leaking. You have to be a member for the full service but there is a smaller one on www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-trainin...your-car-and-caravan.
Ray

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan 2017 Coachman VIP 565 review – 1 - The VIP’s looks have stayed fairly constant since 2012, yet it remains a desirable luxury tourer – plus, the front gas locker door boasts double locks (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Caravelair Antarès 476 review – 1 - The Caravelair Antarès 476's quirky, one 'eye' looks hint at the unusual layout inside – it has an MTPLM of 1200kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Galera review – 1 - The silver sides are new and give the 2017-season Buccaneer caravans a distinctive, upmarket look (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Hymer Nova GL 470 review – 1 - Its external styling is a little boxy and retro, but there's no getting away from the Hymer Nova GL 470's £27,690 price and 1700kg MTPLM (© Practical Caravan)

Follow us on